When you find your calling, you find the answer to the question, “Why am I here?”
Your calling is more than your college job in between classes or the king-sized salary at the top of a career ladder. It is the work you were born to do. It is the work that fits your hands the way the chisel fit Michelangelo’s or the Olympic pool water fits Michael Phelps’ paddle-sized palms.
Are you still searching for your calling? Get inspired by these quotes about crucial aspects to finding it: setting goals big enough to scare you, serving others, and working hard at work you love.
1.“[Your calling] is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.”
– FREDERICK BUECHNER
2. “I’d rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.”
– GEORGE BURNS
3. “Work is love made visible.”
– KAHLIL GIBRAN
4. “You are what you do. If you do boring, stupid, monotonous work, chances are you’ll end up boring, stupid, and monotonous.”
– BOB BLACK
5. “The people who make it to the top—whether they’re musicians, or great chefs, or corporate honchos—are addicted to their calling…. [They] are the ones who’d be doing whatever it is they love, even if they weren’t being paid.”
– QUINCY JONES
6. “If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures. Sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.’ ”
– MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
7. “Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men’s blood… Make big plans; aim high in hope and work.”
– DANIEL BURNHAM
8. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.”
– MAYA ANGELOU
9. “Yes, I’ve made a great deal of dough from my fiction, but I never set a single word down on paper with the thought of being paid for it.… I have written because it fulfilled me…. I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for the joy, you can do it forever.”
– STEPHEN KING
10. “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.”
– STEVE JOBS
Have you found your calling yet? Log in to your recently updated Find Your Calling profile to see the skills you’ll need for your future career, plus the companies that are hiring. Don’t have a profile yet? Take the Discovery Questionnaire now! It’s quick and free. You’ll be exploring careers and colleges in no time.