This is the fifth in Find Your Calling’s series “Rock-Solid Jobs for Your Personality That Make At Least $45K a Year.” Each post features five recommended careers for one of the six personalities in Find Your Calling: creator, doer, helper, organizer, persuader, and thinker.
Persuaders are easily spotted. Confident and outgoing, they are usually optimistic and ambitious and excel at influencing others. Challenging, people-oriented careers that demand energetic leadership are their forte, such as law, politics, or management.
Here are the top five careers for people with this kind of motivational energy. These are the favorites of the Find Your Calling team based on growth (showing that these careers are in demand) and median salaries (at least $57K per year). Take note that starting salaries would be lower than median salaries.
Take our free Discovery Questionnaire to see if you’re a Persuader.
1. Marketing Managers. If you’re somewhat attracted to sales (but not quite), you might like its cousin: marketing. Marketing managers don’t close deals, but they estimate demand for an organization’s products, identify potential markets, and then generate interest in those products. They also develop strategies to maximize profit. These managers have grown 13% since 2011 (23,000 new jobs) and offer $128K per year (median wages) or $97K (at the beginning of your career).
2. Sales Managers. These managers oversee the sales reps within a business: assigning sales territories, setting sales goals, and establishing training programs. They frequently have to travel. Sales managers have grown 10% (35,000 new jobs). Median salary is $113K per year but you should expect more like $80K starting out.
3. Personal Financial Advisors. If you’re a Persuader with a strong Helper/Thinker streak, you might like a career as a personal financial advisor. You need analytical skills to sort through various money matters and you get to use your persuasive skills to help people with things like investments, mortgages, and taxes. Personal financial advisors have grown 18% (33,000 new jobs) since 2011. Their median salary is $84K per year, though $62K per year is more realistic for those just beginning their career.
4. Public Relations Specialists. You would work very closely with the media as a public relations specialists. They’re in charge of creating a favorable public image for the business they work for, designing media releases to shape the public’s perception and boost awareness of the business’s mission. They’ve grown 10% (21,000 new jobs) and offer median wages of $57K per year (starting wages more like $43K).
5. Social & Community Service Managers. This is another great career for Persuader-Helper combos. Social and community service managers coordinate social service programs and community organizations. They work for a variety of organizations that often serve a particular demographic: children, homeless, veterans, those with mental health needs, etc. These managers have grown 19% since 2011 (24,000). Median wages are $64K per year, but $51K per year is more likely for a manager with less experience.